Monday, August 16, 2010

Music Monday #8 ~ Happy Birthday Dad!

Since my dad's birthday this year has fallen on "Music Monday", I thought it fitting to share some of the songs that I grew up listening to with my dad. 
I have many fond memories of sitting in front of the record player listening to music with him. 
I most definitely got my love and appreciation of music from my father.
I always thought it funny when he would hear a song on the radio and could tell me exactly what year it came out and what was going on in his life at the time.
But now I find myself doing the same thing.

Anyway, I picked out a few songs/artists that I particularly attach to my dad for various reasons.

The first is one of our all-time favorite musicians...Glenn Miller.
I was fortunate enough to be raised on Big Band music.
Though it was even before my dad's time, he too had an appreciation for the classics as do I now.
My exposure to Big Band also helped me relate more to my grandparents, as I usually knew and loved many of the songs that they had grown up with.
My dad and I both loved this particular song...especially the section featuring "The Ink Spots".




Another fond memory I have of time with my dad is the many hours he spent pushing me on the swing at my grandparent's house.
He would push me for what seemed like forever while I sang songs at the top of my lungs.
What songs?
Whatever came to mind usually, but I tended to pick the next two songs more often.
Both of my parents can be so silly at times and I inherited my share of that trait.
And they both loved silly songs.
One of the songs that my dad liked was "Tie Me Kangaroo Down".
We would listen to the 45 over and over again.
Well, just for him, since he also is a Beatles fan like me, I found this funny version of the song that Rolf Harris recorded with the Beatles. 




And if you are unfortunate enough to have never heard the original, here is the link:



One of the other songs that I would sing while on the swing was this one.
Such a fun song and not many lyrics to memorize.
This performance on The Ed Sullivan Show is great.
(apologies that the sound doesn't quite match the video...not my doing!)



Janis Joplin.
My dad loved her when he was growing up.
I inherited that love.
He likes to pretend that the late sixties/early seventies never happened to him, but I have evidence to the contrary...


I think this was an attempt at a band photo at some point.
My dad is the on the bottom right crouching down.
He was the bass player in a band for a few years.
He even played for a couple of years after I was born.
He gave it all up for me.
It was time for him to "grow up"...or at least that's what I was told.

Anyway, back to Janis...yeah, we are both fans.
I found this cool performance she did in Stockholm of one of my favorite songs.
She was genius.



So as you can see, my dad was a big part of developing my love and taste in music.
Mostly he helped me keep a musically open mind.
So his gift to me is now my gift to him.

Thank you dad for everything.
I hope I get to share many, many more birthdays with you!

Love,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh..I don't know what to say....except thank you, buddy...
Much much love,

d-d-d-o